Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Brandon Divorce Lawyer > Brandon Name Change Attorney

Brandon Name Change Attorney

When many women get married or divorced, they change their name. Changing one’s last name can seem like a frustrating endeavor because there is much paperwork involved.

Changing your name is a legal process, as your name is used on everything, from your birth certificate to your Social Security card to your driver’s license, credit cards, IRS records, voting documents, government forms, and everything else in between. So as you can imagine, changing your name is no easy task.

If you want to change your name after a marriage or divorce, there are some hoops to jump through. Here are the procedures involved.

Florida Name Change After Marriage

Changing your name is easiest when you get married. In Florida, you can change your name on the marriage license application form. Generally, you should be able to fill in your new name on the form and just list your former name. Once the marriage license process is complete, the county clerk will issue you a license.

But you’re not done yet. You’ll then need to file the necessary paperwork with the appropriate government agencies, such as the Department of Motor Vehicles and Social Security Administration. Be sure to contact anyone else affected by your name change, such as voter registration records and your employer.

Florida Name Change After Divorce

If you’re getting a divorce, you can easily restore your maiden name during your divorce proceedings. You can ask the judge to include the name change request in the final divorce decree. Follow these steps:

  • List your full maiden name (first, middle, and last names) on your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.
  • Obtain certified copies of your final divorce decree.
  • Update your name with the Social Security Administration as soon as possible. This must be done by mail or in person.
  • Update your Florida driver’s license at the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days. This must be done in person.
  • Let other institutions know, such as your banks, credit card companies, and employers.

When There is No Marriage or Divorce

To request a name change as an adult when there is no marriage or divorce involved, the process is a bit more complicated. First, you’ll need to file a petition with the circuit court in your county. You will need to inform a judge of the name change and the reason for it.

Next, you will need to submit to a criminal background check. Complete the Petition for Change of Name (Adult) and sign it in the presence of a notary. Submit your application. When your court hearing has been scheduled, download the Final Judgement of Change of Name (Adult) and bring it with you. The judge will sign it and you will need to make copies for your records.

Contact a Brandon Family Law Attorney Today

Many people refuse to change their name after marriage or divorce because they find the process daunting. The right legal help can make the process so much easier.

Get help from Brandon name change attorney Stephanie Koether from Koether Law, P.A. If you want to change your name after a divorce, our office can assist you. Contact us today for a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn